Oliver Lee Johnson was rushed to hospital by paramedics (stock photo) (Image: Getty Images)

Our free email newsletter sends you the biggest headlines from news, sport and showbiz

Sign upWhen you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. OurPrivacy Noticeexplains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.Thank you for subscribingWe have more newslettersShow meSee ourprivacy noticeInvalid Email

A child died after a dressing gown cord got wrapped around his neck.

Oliver Lee Johnson went to his room on July 16 and began packing his things ready to go on a camping holiday.

A short while later the nine-year-old was found by his mum Rachael by the bunk bed with a dressing gown cord around his neck, Gazette Live reported.

Along with his granddad Oliver's mum tried to revive him until the paramedics arrived.

They rushed the unresponsive boy to James Cook University Hospital but he was pronounced dead that evening.

A postmortem ruled the medical cause the young boy's death was "hypoxic brain injury" following "cardio-respiratory arrest" as a result of hanging.

He was declared dead at James Cook University Hospital
(Image: Evening Gazette)

Read More
Related Articles

  • Smart meter data could be used to identify dementia and depression sufferers

Read More
Related Articles

  • UK faces month-long lockdown to 'pay' for relaxing rules for Christmas

An inquest at Teeside Coroner's Court was told that on the day of Oliver's death, he had gone shopping with his mum, had a meal, and visited his grandparents.

His older brother was also picked up from school and they all went home to pack for the camping trip.

Oliver went upstairs to pack.

His mum went to check on him after he did not return back downstairs.

The youngster was found by the bunk bed in his room with a dressing gown cord around his neck.

The inquest heard that Oliver had no significant past medical history and had no history of mental health issues.

Following his death, Cleveland Police launched an investigation and concluded there was "no third party involvement" and that there was "nothing untoward at home".

The force said that there was "nothing that would indicate threats of self-harm" either.

Assistant coroner Jo Wharton said Oliver was a "much loved son" and ruled his death as "misadventure".